Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2014 20:43:10 +0000
From:      Maikel Verheijen <Maikel.Verheijen@redwood.com>
To:        Jim Harris <jim.harris@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nvd disk on nvme controller not detected at boot-time

Hi Jim,
On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Maikel Verheijen <Maikel.Verheijen@redwood=
.com<mailto:Maikel.Verheijen@redwood.com>> wrote:
Hi list!

We recently purchased a HP DL380e G8 server to serve as our backup server w=
ith an Intel P3600 that uses the nvme interface. We added load_nvme=3D"YES"=
 and load_nvd=3D"YES" to our loader.conf, and they both get loaded, however=
 the ssd disk device is not detected at boot. When we unload and reload the=
 nvd module the disk does get detected. Is there a way to see if the load-o=
rder is correct? We added verbose_loading=3D"YES" to the loader.conf, but d=
mesg doesn't show me the actual loading.

One thing I did see related to the nvme in the dmesg (full dmesg attached) =
output is this:

Hi Maikel,

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?  I believe both of these issues hav=
e been fixed on HEAD and merged to stable/9 and stable/10.  9.3 and 10.1-RC=
 would have these fixes.  9.2 and 10.0 would not.
I'm currently running FreeBSD 10.0 with updates from freebsd-update. Would =
FreeBSD 10.1-RC be safe for a production environment or would it be better =
to wait until the real release? The machine is not used for production yet,=
 but we do want to go live with it in the near future. I currently use a =
=93workaround=94, I=92m not loading ZFS at boot time but use a custom RC sc=
ript to load the nvd module, test if the nvd0 disk is there, then load the =
ZFS module. That seems to work for now, but having it work =93out of the bo=
x=94 would be better, and a lot less prone to manual mistakes made by me :)

nvme0: <Generic NVMe Device> mem 0xfbdf0000-0xfbdf3fff irq 16 at device 0.0=
 on pica
=85
nvme0: SET FEATURES (09) sqid:0 cid:9 nsid:0 cdw10:00000080 cdw11:00000000
nvme0: INTERNAL DEVICE ERROR (00/06) sqid:0 cid:9 cdw0:

This was fixed in r263277.  Incidentally, the error message here is harmles=
s and not associated with the primary issue you have described above.
Thanks, this was the only thing I thought that might be relevant to the iss=
ue, glad to hear it=92s harmless.

After unloading and reloading  the nvd module the disk does get detected:

nvd0: <INTEL SSDPEDME400G4> NVMe namespace
nvd0: 381554MB (781422768 512 byte sectors)

The load on boot issue was fixed in r263310.
That is good news, that means we can probably drop my rc script in the near=
 future and use the proper loading procedures.

Best regards,
-Jim

Thanks again and warm regards,
Maikel Verheijen