Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:47:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        krinsky+freebsd@bantha.org (David Krinsky)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate STT8000A (ATAPI/IDE) on FreeBSD? (fwd)

It seems David Krinsky wrote:
> I posted this to -hardware a few days ago and haven't
> gotten much in the way of feedback;  since it sounds to me
> like a driver bug this seems like an appropriate forum too.
>
> Is anyone here using -any- ATAPI drive for backup?

Yup, I use one:

ast0: <CONNER CTT8000-A/1.17> tape drive at ata1 as slave
ast0: Drive empty, readonly, reverse, qfa, ecc, 512b
ast0: Max speed=600Kb/s, Transfer limit=52 blocks, Buffer size=728 blocks

> When I try to tar up a usefully-sized directory or filesystem,
> however, the drive will begin its work apparently correctly, but the
> tar will exit with an I/O error at a variable point a few seconds to
> minutes into the backup.  The following goes to syslog:
>
> 	wst_done: wst0: nonrecovered data error

I've seen this problem LOTS of times when using the old wd based
atapi subsystem. I've never been able to find out why this is
happening exactly. This was part of the reason I started out
on the new ATA driver (only in -current now). I've never had
this problem using the ATA driver, so I'm pretty sure its the
old driver thats at fault, probably some delicate timing prob.
Using the new driver I do routine backups every night on
a couble of servers, not seen a signle problem yet...

-Soren