Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 96 13:31:31 +0200
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: what is bsdish?

kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de writes:

> I had a discussion with someone recently about flavors of OSs
> and I was stating that HP-UX (Version 9.05) is SYSV flavor.
> It has ps -edf, different kernel build environment, no /etc/rc.
> He was stating HP-UX *is* BSD. Now what makes a SYSV system, what
> makes a BSD system?

I'd be more inclined to ask "what doesn't make a SYSV system ?"

no streams, no /etc/rc?.d/* stuff, no libnsl, no libsocket, no
libbsd, etc. No ttymon, no sac. And a host of other things which
I can't think of off-hand, although my workstation is SYS5R4 :-)

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org