Date:      17 Mar 2001 18:18:28 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for a new syscall

Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > You don't seem to understand what funopen() really does...
> I think I do, since I already used it successfully.  Look at how it is
> used in libfetch (AFAIK, you are the author of libfetch, I'm not sure
> if you wrote this part though),

Yes, I did. If you read that code you'll see it does a *lot* more than
just pumping data from one file to another.

>                                 it's given a read function to read the
> socket and a write function that will then write this into a file, and
> this is used to download a file.

This has absolutely nothing to do with zero-copy anything. The reader
function doesn't need to be backed by a file - it can do *anything* it
wants, even return a constant stream of "Maxime Henrion doesn't know
what funopen() is for" :)

> > >                                                                Having
> > > such a syscall in the kernel would allow to implement "zero-copy"
> > > wherever it is feasible.
> > No. It would save you two copies and a bunch of syscalls, but it
> > wouldn't be real zero-copy, just "n-2 copy" instead of "n copy".
> And if n == 2 ?

It's never the case. I think the best you can do in userland is n = 3,
from a device to a file or socket, or from a file or socket to a
device, by using mmap(2) on one side (can't do it on both - you have
to mmap one device and write its contents to a file, or read from a
file into an mmapped device). In the general case (file to file, file
to socket, socket to file, socket to socket) the best you can do, even
with mmap(), is n = 4.

> > > Then, sendfile() would just be a particular case of this syscall, where
> > > the input fd is a file and the output fd is a socket, and it could be
> > > rewritten using it.
> > No. Have you looked at the sendfile() code?
> Probably not enough ; however I don't understand why it wouldn't be
> possible to write a more generic function than sendfile() dealing with
> any type of file descriptors that sendfile() could call then.

It's not impossible, but it'd be a lot of work and it wouldn't be
zero-copy.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org