Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:06:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dyson@iquest.net, pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions/problems with vm_fault() in Stable

:This is *not* a major improvement.  It's a trivial improvement
:which does nothing to address the issue of fragmentation.  The
:FFS/UFS combination on a fixed backing store is relative immune
:to fragmentation because of the way the backing store is used via
:what is, in effect, a statistical hash of blocks into the available
:space for blocks.

    I'm sorry, I spent two days testing this.  It is a *MAJOR*
    improvement.

    Fragmentation is not an issue.  While it is true that swap backing
    for non-data blocks (i.e. fragments, inodes, bitmaps) cannot be
    recovered, the fact that data blocks *CAN* is *MAJOR* improvement.

    Fragmentation at the datablock level is irrelevant because it only
    applies to cleaning dirty pages -- i.e. paging out to SWAP, and
    the swap code will allocate *contiguous* space for the *fragmented*
    data.  And with the new swapper going in on the 15th, it will even
    reallocate swap on the fly.

    The on-the-fly reallocation fixes *ALL* long term fragmentation issues
    with paging to swap whether it is for MFS or just standard OBJT_DEFAULT
    or OBJT_SWAP objects.  So while the data blocks may be fragmented from
    the point of view of the MFS 'block' device, they are not fragmented from
    the point of view of the swap backing store block device.

:The recovery mechanism you outline deals with breaking pages back
:to the system for reuse, but *aggrivates* the fragmentation issue
:to an almost unholy level, which just gets worse if you try and add
:cylinder groups to "grow" the MFS.

    No it doesn't.  Explain to me how it aggravates the fragmentation
    issue.  Remember, we *don't* *care* how 'fragmented' the file data
    is in MFS's device namespace.  We just care how fragmented it is on
    physical media - the swap backing store.  The swapper automatically
    defragments anything over a page in size.

    						-Matt

:					Terry Lambert
:					terry@lambert.org
:---

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)