Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:36:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
Subject:   Re: pointers for config flash mem card, please

Please don't wrap log output.

[Following up to -mobile; this is a relatively specialized question]

On Saturday,  3 March 2001 at 17:21:32 -0600, Bruce Burden wrote:

>    Hi gang,
>
>         I have a Calluna flash memory card I am attempting to get
>    configured, and could use some help.
>
>         First, the hardware:
>
> pcic-pci0: <Ricoh RL5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xd3401000-0xd3401fff irq 19 at device 9.0 on pci0
> pcic-pci1: <Ricoh RL5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xd3402000-0xd3402fff irq 16 at device 9.1 on pci0

This looks like an SMP motherboard.  You should give more details.

>         When I insert the card, this happens:
>
> /kernel: pccard: card inserted, slot 1
> pccardd[58]: Card "Calluna"("CT130MC") [01Feb96] ['302-24 ] has function ID 4
> pccardd[58]: Card "Calluna"("CT130MC") [01Feb96] ['302-24 ] has function ID 4
> /kernel: sio0: 3 more silo overflows (total 3)
> /kernel: sio0: 3 more silo overflows (total 3)
> /kernel: ata4 at port 0x280-0x28f irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
> /kernel: ata4 at port 0x280-0x28f irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
> /kernel: ata4-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> /kernel: ata4-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> /kernel: ata4-master: identify failed
> /kernel: ata4-master: identify failed
> pccardd[58]: ata4: GENERIC Flash ATA / ATA HDD inserted.
> pccardd[58]: ata4: GENERIC Flash ATA / ATA HDD inserted.
> /kernel: ata4: detached
> /kernel: ata4: detached
>
>         To get this far, I modified the "wildcard" flash memory card
>    as described by Greg Lehey on 28 Nov. 2000 on the -questions and
>    -hardware mailing lists. Clearly, however, something didn't quite
>    work. I suspect that the sio0 overflows means that an IRQ is being
>    shared (irq 8), and somebody isn't happy (FWIW, inserting the card
>    in slot 0 will cause i/o to hang until the card is removed). However,
>    I don't see anybody reported at irq 8 with 'dmesg'.

irq 8 is a timer interrupt on the motherboard.  But I don't see any
mention of irq 8 in the output above.  And the sio problems are
possibly caused by something else.

>         I haven't worked with ATA worth mention in the past, so I am
>    not sure how to proceed.

Well, http://www.lemis.com/questions.html gives you some ideas.  You
haven't said what your hardware is, nor what your software is.  But at
the moment your biggest problem seems to be the SMP board.  As far as
I know, nobody has ever got PCMCIA to work on an SMP motherboard,
though possibly there has been some recent progress in -CURRENT.

>         If it matters, this card is from an Agfa ActionCam (Minolta
>    RD-175 digital camera) with a stated capacity of 130MB.

There's a good chance that you'll run into problems there too, though
my description to which you refer above might help.  But first we need
to see whether your hardware can work together.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.