Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:43:41 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated XFree86

CARTER Anthony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated XFree86 this morning after a cvsup using portupgrade -r...did
> all packages for XFree86 (Server, libraries etc. etc.)
>
> I now have a problem with GDM...
>
> I can log in as root using the GDM, but if I log in as another user, it
> pops a message up about my session not lasting longer than 10 seconds
> and dumping me back to login. I get a "client 5 rejected from local
> host" in my logs, and I get a "run_session_chiled: Could not open
> ~/.xsession-errors" on the console (even though it exists)...

I have vague recollections that your ~/.xsession should be marked
executable for xdm/gdm/kdm to work properly.  Is it?  I can't
recall if there is a special group added to /etc/group for the
xsession manager but if there is one your users may need to belong
to that group.  Does gdm run SUID?  Can't recall, but it may need to.
If 'startx' works then I assume you have 'wrapper' installed.  I'm
not sure about the interaction of wrapper with gdm but you could
try de-installing it.  Only takes a second to re-install it.