Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        User Gp <gp@tower.my.domain>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ooops: Missing Crontab?

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, User Gp wrote:

> I don't know how I manage to do these things to myself. I wanted to set up a
> crontab for my non-root login on my pc. It seems to me that I used a crontab
> for root as a template, and it looked like there might be some pretty
> important stuff in there. Is there a root crontab included in the distribution
> (I'm running -current from about 9/24)? If there is, how do I get a copy.
>
> I'm concerned because when I type "crontab -l -u root", I get "No crontab for
> root".
>
> Thanks.

> Greg

Unless it's changed radically in -current:

There is a system crontab in /etc.  This file says it's root's crontab
but it's really the system's crontab.

Crontabs can be created by users (including the user root) in
/var/cron/tabs, if they're allowed to do so.  It's not a good idea to
use the system's crontab in /etc as a template unless you comment
everything out and note the differences in format between the
/etc/crontab file and the crontabs for users.  Users should use the
crontab command for editing their crontabs.  The file /etc/crontab
should be edited with a text editor.

There are two crontab man pages and one cron man page; in sum they
explain the whole thing.

Annelise