Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:07:14 -0700
From:      Greg Skafte <skafte+freebsd-chat@trollkarl.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nicest OS installer to date

I've been a die hard BSD biggot since 2.0.5, but last night at our
local unix user group, I saw probably the nicest install program for
an os in a long time.  It's from a new linux distro call MaxOS, very
nice, very simple, very clean.

As long as gnupartit can resize the windows partition it was only 3 or 4
mouse clicks to install.  If partit gets confused its a couple of extra
clicks but not many.......

It is currently intended to be a  windows "Desktop"  replacement OS,
and there functionality is geared toward that.  They make some base
assumptions and install the "200" most used apps with kde 1.1.2, Star
Office and Netscape 4.7x.

Don't get me wrong I'm not changing from the BSD world if I can ever
help it .... but this was a very impressive display of simple
technology.

FWIW, the company that creates it is a small canadian that did an IPO
to raise the capital to create the installer technology, and market it.

The installer in my guesstimate probably took a couple hundred k canadian
of programming dollars.

--
Email: skafte@trollkarl.net                               ICQ: 93234105
#575 Sun Life Place * 10123 99 Street * Edmonton, AB * Canada * T5J 3H1
When things can't get any worse, they simplify themselves by getting a
whole lot worse then complicated. A complete and utter disaster is the
simplest thing in the world; it's preventing one that's complex.
(Janet Morris)