Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:00:56 +0200
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        Kevin Stevens <freebsd@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How Critical Is It To Use an ISP Running FreeBSD or BSD/OS?

Kevin Stevens wrote:

> [snip]
> In an ISP of any size, the CS reps will be almost totally divorced
> from the infrastructure team.  What OS' they support for customers has
> very little to do with what they run on the backside.
>
> KeS

True there. They only support Bill's software and a Mac just because it
are the two most used OS'. (You can't say that from Linux because every
distribution is different and has different paths and such) For example,
here in the Netherlands we have several ISPs where the service desk
employees simply have a list in fromt of them with questions, but know
nothing about computers at all. You can't expect of them to figure out
how to get your connection up and running with all those Linux
distributions, or BSD projects. Would be rather a PITA if one has an
HP-UX, AIX or ALPHA machine serving as an internet gateway, don't you think?

Anyway, my ISP (Demon, for the Dutch folks on the list) is running
FreeBSD (at least, their webservers. Not really sure about the rest),
and they don't give support on FreeBSD either. They only support Windows
and Mac as well. Which makes sense to me though. They have skilled folks
on their service desk, but still you can't expect of them to know
various of *NIX flavors.

So it got a little bit long, but at least you have my two cents.

Cheers,

Jorn