Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:13:18 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        "Peter aka SweetPete" <swtpete@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installer vs RedHat Linux Fedora Core Installer?

> Hello, I used to be on this mailing list several years ago, and have
> recently rejoined.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-sysinstall.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install/main1.png
>
>    vs.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/install-guide/fc6/en/ch-beginninginstallation.html#sn-booting-from-disc
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/install-guide/fc6/en/figs/bootprompt.png
>
> Could I begin a thread (now) about a comparison (and relatively
> inferiorness) of the following two installers please??  I WOULD run
> FreeBSD at home instead of Fedora if the installer were more .....erm,
> """Microsoftly."""
>
> Do you among the developer circle hear this kind of thing from time to time?

This seems to come up over and over again.  About every other month.

The developers are aware of it.  The general consensus is that "yes, our
installer could be nicer/prettier/easier/etc"

However, until someone either takes the time to write a better one, or
foots some cash to get a better one written, or blackmails a developer
in to doing it or something else, we still have what we have.

I think the biggest problem is that the installer is "good enough" -- so
nobody is particularly interested in rewriting it until it's not good
enough any more -- even though it could be better.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.