Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 11:19:50 -0700
From:      "Michael O'Henly" <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        <netrattler@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: How do I get my 3com 3c59x NIC to work

I think you may be misinterpreting that list in the kernel config setup. (I
did too. Took me some careful reading of the accompanying help file to
realize what was going on there.)

Basically, there are many, many more drivers made available to the kernel in
an install than any single machine is likely to need. This is so that the
install can procede without the user having to know the ugly details right
off the bat. After installing, you go back and disable the stuff you don't
need by rebuilding the kernel without all those doodads.

Among this embarassment of drivers, there are likely going to be some that
conflict -- that's the list of you see under "network" in the kernel config.
**Unless you have one of the devices in this list, you should simply disable
them all and continue with the install.** Since the 3c59x isn't in that list,
you should be fine.

Now, having booted into FreeBSD, here's what you do.

1. As root, go to /stand and run sysinstall.

2. From the main menu, pick Configure.

3. From the Configuration menu, pick networking.

4. From the Networking menu, pick Interfaces.

5. Here you should see your 3c59x listed. Select it. Say "no" to IPv6 (unless
you're actually using it) and "yes" to DHCP. The installer will scan for a
DHCP server and return what it finds in a dialog. Just go with the defaults
and I think you'll be all set.

M.

--
Michael O'Henly