Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:26:16 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, louie@TransSys.COM, listsub@rambo.simx.org, leifn@neland.dk
Subject:   Re: Mail subsystem defaults, adding authentication.

In a message written on Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 04:32:36AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> This isn't really a FreeBSD issue, except for the inclusion of
> the SASL library in the base system, which is not currently the
> case.

Correct.

> The STARTTLS SMTP command doesn't work, because it is issued
> after the EHLO, which solicits the capabilities list that exposes
> the SMTP AUTH.  The only method that works, therefore, is to use
> an SSL connection -- SMTPS... port 465, instead of port 25).  You
> can see the order of operation problem, I hope?

I was more thinking SMTPS; that is the SMTPS server would allow
SMTP AUTH, and the SMTP (25) server would not.  I understand you
can't configure sendmail to do this today.  That could be
patched though, and an interim hack would to just run two copies
of sendmail with slightly different configs.  No?

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org