Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:36:02 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI suspend/resume

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 23:54:17 +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 05:18:45 +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > > "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Justin says that the apm code makes a BIOS call, and that the BIOS knows
> > how to spin down an IDE disk.  It doesn't know how to spin down a SCSI
> > disk, though.
> >
> > So that's why apm -Z doesn't spin down your SCSI disk.
>
> as I remember me (almost 1 year I dont; run M$ things),
> M$ Windows knows how to do this!
>
> isn't it possible to do this at the same time the BIOS syscall is done ?

It would likely be possible, but it wouldn't be very high on my to-do list.

> [snip]
> >
> > I'm not sure why you're getting errors, that should work in theory...and it
> > does work for me:
> >
> > # umount /mnt/usr
> > # umount /mnt/var
> > # umount /mnt
> > # camcontrol stop da1 -v
> > Unit stopped successfully
> > # mount /dev/da1s1a /mnt
> > # df
> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/da0s1a    158783    73406    72675    50%    /
> > /dev/da0s1f   7766844  3016956  4128541    42%    /usr
> > /dev/da0s1e    254063     2770   230968     1%    /var
> > procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
> > /dev/da1s1a    158783    62397    83684    43%    /mnt
>
> don't understand why this works for you and not for me ?
> I'll ask some friends about that... until now, I was always thinking
> this was a "normal" comportment.

Nope, that's not normal.  The drive should spin up automatically.  I'm not
sure why yours doesn't.

> my machine is an old P166 (3 years) w/ a TEKRAM 390F host adapter (2 years).
>
> > For what it's worth, it looks like you've compiled out the sense strings
> > and the CDB strings in your kernel.  That makes it more difficult to debug
> > problems.  Your drive is spitting out the correct error code, though.  (ASC
> > 0x4, ASCQ 0x2 -- logical unit not ready, initializing command required)
>
> you are right, I've :
>
> options SCSI_NO_SENSE_STRINGS
> options SCSI_NO_OP_STRINGS
>
> why this makes more difficult to debug problems ?
> have you some preferences about kernel settings ?

Well, the sense strings provide a text description of the numeric error
codes (ASC and ASCQ).  That saves me from having to look up the error code
in the table if I don't have it memorized.

The opcode strings tell me what command failed (i.e. start unit, test unit
ready, etc.).

> do you want a copy of my kernel config file ? any other things ?

Nah, that's okay.  The only thing I'm curious about is what sort of drive
this is.  Can you send dmesg output for your SCSI disk?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org