Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and kernel threads (Was: Re: Pthreads woes revisited.)

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, John Birrell wrote:

> I suggest that you look at the message John Dyson posted and try applying
> his patches to your local SMP system. If you can debug this and are willing
> to write regression testing code to prove that it works, then we can
> talk more.

Okay, ummm... Your message begs some additional questions and a comment.

1) Which message from John Dyson are you referring to?  I don't recall a
technically detailed message from him on this subject for 2+ months.

2) Where are John Dyson's patches currently available?

3) I thought that John Dyson's patches had been committed long ago.  Were
they not committed because of stability problems, performance problems,
lack of a warm body to do it, etc.?

You request that I "write regression testing code to prove that it works".
Regression testing does nothing more than prevent old bugs from
reappearing.  It proves nothing other than that old bugs haven't
reappeared, and that assumes that the regression tests are written
correctly to test for the bugs rather than their symptoms.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a proponent of regression testing, but it won't
achieve what you're asking for.  Are you just asking for stability testing
of the patches, or something else in addition?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]