Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Renaud.Waldura@netsurf.org
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Success Story (Matshita CR-585)

(This message for archival purposes)

(applies to FreeBSD 2.2.2)

My computer includes a Matshita (Matsushita?) CR-585 CD-ROM. Reading the docs, I
first believed I was supposed to use the "matcd" controller.

Wrong! A dozen of reboots later, I finally understood that this drive is actually
an IDE device, which needs the "wdc" controller and _not_ the "matcd".

So the right config incantations in the kernel boot file /sys/i386/conf/XXX are:

controller isa0			# my IDE controller is on the ISA bus, see below

controller wdc0 at isa? port ...

#disk wd0 at wcd0 drive 0 	# if you also have an IDE hard disk

option ATAPI
option ATAPI_STATIC

device wcd0			# the damn CD-ROM

And forget about the "matcd" controller.

Hope this helps someone one day,

--
Renaud Waldura       <renaud@netsurf.org>      http://www.netsurf.org/~renaud/