Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 09:46:47 +0400
From:      Sergei Vyshenski <svysh@pn.sinp.msu.ru>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata sad combinatorics

At 15:22 04.04.00 +0200, you wrote:
>It seems Mike Tancsa wrote:
>>=20
>> Have a search through the archives as I think someone else had problems=
=20
>> with the Fujitsus.  What if you disable DMA.  Are you actually using the=
=20
>> drive in Win98 with DMA drivers ? What if go back to PIO mode.  Perhaps
the=20
>> maintainer can shed light on it ?
>
>> >atapci0: <Intel PIIX
>> >ATA controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 7.1 on pci0
>> >ata0: at 0x1f0 irq
>> >14 on atapci0
>> >ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
>
>The old Intel PIIX is know to have DMA problems, I never intended to=20
>support it, but the current code (from luiqi IIRC) was found to be
>sufficient IF the BIOS did its job right. I seems that we have a=20
>BIOS here that doesn't setup things the way they should be, and the
>DMA setup fails because of that. Is there any way you could upgrade
>your BIOS ??
>
>-S=F8ren

After more experiments:
1) A pair of any disks are ok as ad0 and ad1, both in dma mode.
2) In a pair ad0+ad2, disk ad2 (irrespective of disk make)=20
is not mounted in dma that easy. BUT, if I wait long enough,=20
(about 1 min) it says:=20
"ata1: trying to fallback to PIO mode"
after which I have ad0 in dma, ad2 in pio, and no further problems.

Very clever behavior in such a case!=20
Thanks a lot for your response.

Do you know a way to say that I want just PIO for disk ad2?