Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:30:55 -0800
From:      David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>, kaltorak@quake.com.au
Subject:   Re: Ports updating... Good ways?

An important note I forgot to mention:

pkg_upgrade does not deal well with inconsistent installed packages.  Make
sure your packages are neat and tidy before you start using it.  What does
that mean?  Mainly, make sure you don't have multiple installed versions of
the same version of a piece of software.  Having ncftp2 and ncftp3 both
installed is fine, but having gtk-1.2.8, gtk-1.2.7, and gtk-1.2.6 installed
is not a terribly good idea.

I'll try to put a "cleanup" mode in one of these days, but it's rather nasty,
since basically you have to:

pkg_delete all of the versions (including the most recent), pkg_delete all
of the programs that depended on older versions, reinstall/rebuild the most
recent version, then rebuild the dependent packages.

Whee.

--David Bushong

P.S. Screwed up my .muttrc earlier, so I'm "Timus"