Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:26:27 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@szalbot.homedns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: custom kernel, make buildkernel and then?

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> The target directory for the build is /usr/obj, so in
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys you can see what kernels have been built.
>
> And it seems none have? For I get this when I do ls I can see only boot
> directory and no kernels. Is it possible that the buildprocess failed
> though it did not explicitly tell me about it? From what I recall one of
> the last lines pritned by buildkernel was
> chmod 444 freebsd.submit.cf

If you have no /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LISTS then the kernel have not been
built and something went wrong.

To get accustomed to building the kernel, start first building the
GENERIC kernel, see that it gets there, see how long it takes. See the
last message at build. It should not be "chmod ..." but rather "Finished
building kernel" or something like that.

Then, using the GENERIC config as a skeleton, create your LISTS kernel,
but do it stepwise, start removing what you are absolutely certain you
don't need or adding things you load as modules. And see that you can
build that.

If you've never built a kernel before doing too much stuff first time
may result in errors you can't identify.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt