Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 00:28:08 -0400
From:      utsl@quic.net
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphical frontend for vinum

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 09:21:51AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 April 2002 at 12:06:39 -0400, utsl@quic.net wrote:
> > You might want to look at EVMS on Linux. They have a few good ideas,
> > like building a library and API underneath the user interfaces. From
> > what I can see, that project has some nice underlying concepts, but the
> > user interfaces need to evolve for a few years. (Worst CLI ever, and the
> > GUI is very confusing.)
>
> To be fair to the EVMS people, the tools are still evolving.  I'd
> certainly like to see more documentation, though.

True. And it beats the regular Linux LVM. I'm looking forward to being
able to get my main systems on to Vinum someday, but that's further away
than I'd like.

> > I wonder if that API could interface with vinum?
>
> I don't think so.  User interface maybe, but Vinum and EVMS have a
> very different API.

I figured that. You're most likely right, you would know. But I may take
a look, anyway. If nothing else, the comparison should be educational.

> > It would be very nice to have a cross-platform library interface to
> > operate on disk volumes.
>
> Yes, we've discussed that in the past.  The problem is that EVMS, AIX
> LVM and Linux LVM have different objects from VERITAS and Vinum.  I
> can't see an easy way of bringing them to a common denominator.  It's
> hard enough explaining the two concepts in the first place.

Yes, I know what you mean. I was kind of the local Veritas guru at my
last job. Vinum feels more familiar.

At this point, I'm reasonably familiar with both concepts. From what I
can see, EVMS is closer to being flexible enough to include Vinum's
concepts than the others are. Might not be close enough though, and I
just noticed that they GPL'ed the libraries. That wasn't nice.

> > For that, it might even be worth improving the EVMS API, rather than
> > starting from scratch.
>
> If you want to help work on EVMS, I know people would love the help.
> Personally I'd prefer to see work on Vinum, of course :-)

Naturally. I'm stuck dealing with Linux, but I'd like to move more of my
systems to FreeBSD. However, I'm probably never going to be totally off
of Linux, so things that make them interoperate better are good.

	---Nathan