Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:14:44 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, nkinkade@dsl-only.net, FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: File Counts

On 2002-12-02 21:26, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Doug Hardie wrote:
> > Thanks to all who responded.  The approach below does just what I needed.
>
> Here's another way I don't see listed:
>
> $ find . -type f | wc -l
>
> This means "find, starting right here, all files here and in subdirectories
> - then pipe the output through word count just the lines."
>
> You'd think FreeBSD would have a command similar to ls, df, du or a flag to
> the find command such as "-countitems" or something.

Nah.  The Unix way of doing things is to avoid implementing
"everything" in one, huge, monolithic tool and relying instead on the
user to find creative ways to make many small tools work together.

wc(1) already does 'counting', and it works fine in that respect.
find(1) doesn't need a 'count items' option, because it's so easy to
pipe the output to wc(1) and do the job.