Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:01:08 -0600
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Usage of resources.

Hello all.
I'm running FreeBSD 3.2 as a web server only with Apache. Nothing else.

I have some sites there that all average about 800,000 pages each month
(all of them).

Top gives me this information:
---------------------
last pid:  4873;  load averages:  0.00,  0.00,  0.00    up 0+11:19:07  01:12:28
32 processes:  1 running, 31 sleeping
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.4% interrupt, 99.6% idle
Mem: 24M Active, 66M Inact, 18M Wired, 8348K Buf, 259M Free
Swap: 512M Total, 512M Free
---------------------

My Machine is a Pentium III 384 MB of RAM an IDE HD with 8 GB. It is
running very good (today I shutdown because I increase the memory in
another 128 MB after 75 days without a problem).

What would be your advice, on experiences about increase the speed of my
server?
I guess memory is not a problem since even with 256MB of RAM Swap was
always 512M Total, 512M Free. It never apparently, used swap area.
I was thinking on changing the IDE disk for an SCSI one.
Of course I know I can change for another pentium, maybe a pentium III 750
Mhz or 850 Mhz but I'm not sure it that will increase a LOT the
performance. Please understand that the machine is running really fine but
I'm curious what will you do in my case since I'm not an expert , yet, on
FreeBSD. Maybe changing the LAN card?. If I upgrade to 4.2 will I have an
increase in performance just for that?

Thanks in advance for your advice. If you feel like answer me privately
please do it at jbiquez@icsmx.com

JB