Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:21:37 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "ko" <kuujinbo@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: where do kernel configuration files go?

From: "ko" <kuujinbo@yahoo.com>
> Section 20.5.1 in the handbook states:
>
> "The build machine must have the kernel configuration files for each
> machine in /usr/src/sys/arch/conf if it is going to build their
> kernels."

If you look closely at that page, you'll see that "arch" is in italic.

> So I copied the kernel configuration files for every machine to that
> directory. But when I did:
>
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=BOXn
>

> My question is do the kernel config files for all the other machines
> that need to be updated really need to be in /usr/src/sys/arch/conf as
> the handbook states? Or can I leave them in /sys/i386/conf? Could I
> could have simply created a symlink in /sys/i386/conf that pointed to
> the files in /usr/src/sys/arch/conf?

The handbook is correct, your supposed to replace "arch" with alpha, i386,
or pc98.  This probably should be made a little bit clearer in the handbook,
as you can barely see that arch is in italics.

As you found out, /sys/i386/conf is the correct location for theses files on
the i386 architechture.  Also, if you do a ls -l / | grep sys, you'll see
that /sys is a link to /usr/src/sys.  Thus /sys/i386/conf is the same as
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf..

Scot