Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:19:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Richard J. Kuhns" <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bugs/features w/ "ldconfig" (3.0-RELEASE)

I'm trying to help John with documentation for the ELF stuff, so I'll make
a couple of comments...

Randall Hopper writes:
 > 1) You can completely re-initialize the LD path for ELF, but not for AOUT.
 >    It seems that ldconfig won't let you remove /usr/lib/aout.  Why?

Well, ldconfig is documented to always include the standard search
directories (/usr/lib or /usr/lib/aout) unless you tell it not to (via
`-s'), so it looks like the bug is in the -elf part.

 > 2) In /etc/rc.conf, we have:
 >
 >         $ldconfig_paths & $ldconfig_paths_aout
 >
 >    but we also have:
 >
 >         /etc/ld.so.conf & /etc/ld-elf.so.conf
 >
 >    (as documented in the ldconfig(8) man page) as places to store LD paths.
 >    So:
 >
 >         a) Which should be used?
 >         b) What arguments cause "ldconfig" to read the /etc/ld*.so.conf files?
 >
 >    It would make sense to have one place to store this information.
 >    It'd also be useful to have simple ldconfig arguments that re-read this
 >    information, wherever it is stored (something like "ldconfig -i").

Pretend you've never seen /etc/ld*.so.conf; it should never have been
mentioned, has nothing to do with ldconfig, and the man page will be
updated soon.

 > and a few questions:
 >
 > 3) Why aren't these two directories in the default $ldconfig_paths_aout (AOUT)
 >    in /etc/rc.conf?  AFAIK, they're all AOUT:
 >
 >    /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat

I don't know about /usr/lib/compat, but as you noticed in 1) above,
/usr/lib/aout is always there unless you specifically ask for it not to be.

 > 4) Why is this directory in the default $ldconfig_paths (ELF)?  It's all AOUT:
 >
 >    /usr/lib/compat

No idea.

 > I'd appreciate any insights.  Should the defs in /etc/rc.conf possibly be
 > changed to:
 >
 >    ldconfig_paths="`cat /etc/ld-elf.so.conf`"
 >    ldconfig_paths_aout="`cat /etc/ld.so.conf`"

See the answer to 2).

--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \