Date:      Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:34:36 -0800
From:      underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Indeed, but it's not as easy as it sounds (well, I don't know if it
> sounds easy...).

I know that the committer's job did NOT sound easy when I considered
it a couple of years ago.  And I'm just referring to the mechanics of
it and not all the really more important and time-consuming tasks of
dealing with PR authors.  I don't remember if any of it seemed
unnecessary, but I hope the processes are reviewed occasionally.

In the case of the FDP, I think there's an extra problem: the source
language of the documentation is too complex for a project without
paid grunt workers.  A significant contributor has the choice of
learning a huge language (including the "entities" and informal
standards) or being "lazy" and allowing others to fix up his edits.
I'm sure that many people want to be lazy but don't want to be seen to
be lazy, so just stay away from it all.  I think it would be better to
keep the documentation in a very bare and simplified version of
docbook or maybe even a wiki-like language.  (I prefer using the
plain-text version, anyway, as it is easier to search.)  Having
"pretty" versions of the docs is not worth the cost of their
maintenance, IMO, especially when it has the side effect of
significantly discouraging participation in the FDP.