Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:40:37 +0300
From:      "Oleg V. Volkov" <rover@lglobus.ru>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports questions

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 11:49:58AM -0500, John Daniels wrote:
> Hi:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I am trying to get a better handle on how ports functions.  I still don't
> quite 'get it.'  If I use pkg_delete, then only that specific package is
> deleted?
Yes.

> None of the additional packages that were added as dependencies
> will be deleted?
Yes.

>  So I have to delete each of these dependent applications
> individually?
Yes.

> Does ports keep a list of the dependent applications
> somewhere so I know what was installed (and thus, what I would need to
> delete)?
/var/db/pkg

> If I wanted to delete an application which another application
> depends on, would I get a warning/option to discontinue?
Yes.

> Or would ports
> just rebuild the app the next time I started the xyz port which depends on
> the deleted app?
No. Only if you tried to rebuild xyz port.

> Wouldn't it seem that if ports were really 'smart' that it would have an
> associated database that kept track of dependencies so that when a
> port/package is deleted it would prompt the user for permission to delete
> each of the dependent apps that are not needed by other apps on the system?
Write it and send-pr.
(Actually such systems are currently in construction AFAIK.)

> This might be only a minor issue for experienced users but it would give
> newbies more confidence in using ports.
> Where can I find good/comprehensive documentation on ports?
Handbook.

--
Oleg V. Volkov aka Rover                                      EH: LCM Rover
Join Elite Imperial Fleet!                    http://www.emperorshammer.org