Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:17:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "..je" <jehrenkrantz@whyy.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 2.1.6-RELEASE install

HI all!
After two weeks of bashing my head against the wall, I submit!

In a NUTshell, I am attempting to do a Ftp install of an
older 386, To be used as a border router.  8 megs ram and 320megs
hardrive across 2 drives. ne2000 compat nic. (GVC Technologies)

I'm sitting on a fairly well connected T1 and have attempted to
use ftp.freebsd.org as the source. Despite having received the
message that the site has a dns entry the actual attempt to get the files
fail with not being able to connect to the FreeBsd site.

OK bunt! (different tack) I have on site and on the same network an account
on a BSDI system on which I have mirrored the ftp.freebsd site. Having
entered the local url,with subdirectory and proper ftp user ID info. The
system logins into the account, changes into the appropiate main directory
(2.1.6-RELEASE) then it attempts to change into the subdir and retreive the
file ie:
FtpGet(ftp,bin/bin.inf) from the 2.1.6-RELEASE parent
result is

"received <425 Can't build data connection: Operation timed out.>"
FTP: No such file bin/bin.inf, moving on.

this basicaly repeating for the entire list for extraction.
This dispite All of the required files being there.
The directory structure is as follows.
home/FreeBSD/2.1.6-RELEASE/bin/
                          /floppies/
and so on. I am stumped!!!!!!!!!!