Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:22:10 +0200
From:      Marc Olzheim <marcolz@ilse.nl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        marcolz@stack.nl
Subject:   /bin/sh, $MAIL and login.conf

Hi.

I was wondering why /etc/login.conf makes the login shell for root check
for mail in /var/mail/root. Most systems I use have /var/mail
nfs-mounted from a central mailserver.

When there are networking problems and thus all operations on /var/mail
keep 'hanging', I would like to be able to login as root on console and
fix it. With the default login.conf, this is not possible though, since
one of the first things /bin/sh does, is check $MAIL for new mail.

So I have three questions:

	1) Am I the only one with this kind of problem ?

	2) Is there (going to be) an 'unsetenv' possibility in
	   login.conf, so that I can still use 'default' for all classes
	   and just unsetenv MAIL for sysadmins and root ?

	3) Why does /bin/sh in non-interactive mode _also_ check $MAIL ?
	   If an NFS mounted filesystem  is non-responsive, all crons
	   that use /bin/sh will keep hangig until the filesystem
	   responds. If the problem remains long enough, the machine
	   will simply run out of memory and/or processes because of all
	   the hanging /bin/sh's... Does anybody have a good reason why
	   it should behave like this ?

Marc