Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 18:32:13 +0200
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   did my first linux-install since nearly 6 years

Hi,

 ... today I undertook a quite great adventure ;)
 I grabbed the nearest SUSE Linux 6.1 Box and installed it on
 one of our office machines.
 Why?  ... I really want to play with ´vmware´
       ... I would like to have a reference platform for
           commercial software available on Linux (sybase, oracle, etc.)
           for testing and demonstration purposes

    *** ´our´ "sysinstall" (even with its rough edges) just ´rocks´
    *** the ports collections ´rocks´ even an order of magnitude more

The SUSE installation tool (YaST) surely is a fine piece of work;
but I have to admit, that I got confused at various points despite of
having read the well-written documentation.
(BTW, I´ve never read the FreeBSD installation documentation,  ... )

My first impression: ´YaST´ has the aim to lead the user to a
more or less well configured system usable as a relatively
isolated workstation, stuffed with all the _application_ software
´joe user´ needs.
I really liked the possibility to save the "selected for installation"
software packages as a named configuration file to a floppy disk.
(Hint, Hint ... )
Although the whole installation process went smooth, I´m certainly
not sure, if the system got configured _well_ and relativly _secure_.

I´m very, very sure, that this Linux system stays a pure vmware-capable
frontend (running a local X-Server / window-manager) to our FreeBSD
boxes.

-Andreas

--
: Anti-Spam Petition:     http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        :