Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:51:39 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Practicalities of FAQ->Handbook migrations

--nNx5P6V1TPcCvZS+

On 2002-01-21 17:47 -0500, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wro=
te:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:53:13PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 02:08:00PM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
> > > I suggest that we create a Handbook section called something like
> > > "Living with FreeBSD" that contains small, catch-all tutorials.
> > > Thoughts?
> >=20
> > Why not create a new top-level book for it?
>=20
> The "Miscellaneous FreeBSD Cra^H^H^HStuff Guide?"
>=20
> I suppose we could.  I'd personally prefer a single book with
> everything in it, but will obey the consensus of the group.

Well, in Message-ID: <20020119200120.A46175@blackhelicopters.org> you
talk about a document full of nothing but topics/questions and pointers
to answers.  It seems to me that if the answer were sufficiently
concise, then it could be placed directly in that document, in addition
to or in lieu of pointers to further information.

I understand the need for such an index document.  There is a wealth of
FreeBSD information in the FAQ, Handbook, Committer's Guide, articles,
books, manual pages, O'Reillynet articles, Daemon News articles,
hardcopy books, graphics, ascii art, and also a few hundred web sites,
some of it very difficult to find despite its potential utility to many
FreeBSD users.

The Documentation Project seems the logical organization to provide an
index of pointers to and within these resources.  Instead of "jumbo
FAQ", though, perhaps the FreeBSD Documentation Index would be a better,
and sufficiently pretentious, name.  Is this the kind of thing you were
talking about, Michael?

Greg
--=20
Gregory S. Sutter                   Heisenberg might have been here.
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org=20
http://www.zer0.org/~gsutter/=20
hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net/0x845DFEDD

--nNx5P6V1TPcCvZS+