Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:39:46 +0200
From:      Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why only root can open /dev/tun*  ?

this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.  Contact your
mail administrator for information about upgrading your reader to a version
that supports MIME.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BB6E9F.F78EB1C0

This is on a terminal server 2.1.0-R with the ppp(8) built using the sources
from -current.

If I run ppp(8) as any user other than root, I get the error message:

	No tunnel device is available.
	open_tun: No such file or directory

I suppose there must be some permission set by default in a very
conservative way, but I can't imagine where.
ppp config files are world-readable, and I've set /dev/tun*
readable/writeable by a group which all the PPP users belong to.

What I'm missing ?

Thanks.

Angelo

 Angelo Turetta                         mailto:aturetta@stylo.it