Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:09:54 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        eps@sirius.com (Eric P. Scott)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO_TCSH issue

At 7:54 PM -0700 9/7/00, Eric P. Scott wrote:
>But I stand by my
>opinion that replacing csh with tcsh in 4.1-RELEASE was the
>single most ill-conceived action taken by the committers.

My opinion is that the new tcsh is fine.  Other opinions have
also been tabulated.  Your opinion is noted, but will not
carry the day, because it is still only one person's opinion
and the overall votes are against you.

Perhaps the csh/tcsh move IS the worst action taken on the
way to release 4.1, but if so then the people behind the
4.1 release should be mighty pleased that the WORST thing
they did was still a good thing.  Just MO.

>I expect to continue recommending 3.5.1-RELEASE for all new
>installations where it's hardware-compatible.  (Why, oh why,
>wasn't Adaptec 29160 support back-ported?)

There are a lot of improvements in the newer releases, even for
hardware that is supported by 3.5.1.  At this point, I wouldn't
run anything less than 4.1, unless constrained by some resource
(memory, disk space, whatever).

You have the source from 3.5.1.  If this csh/tcsh change is the
ONLY reason you are not recommending 4.1, then I would think your
customers would be better off with 4.1 plus the old version
version of csh.  There is no one who is going to force you or
your customers to run this new csh/tcsh if you do not want to
run it.

ps: is this the same EPS from NeXTSTEP/RBrowser days?

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute