Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:08:32 +0000
From:      Stephane Lentz <Stephane.Lentz@ansf.alcatel.fr>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@thinksec.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: curl 7.6.1 port : HTTP proxy not working

I managed to use fetch through the proxy we have that
requires a username/password. I made a typo to the
HTTP_PROXY_AUTH variable (the correct value is
HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:*:slentz:password).
So yes I can use fetch instead of curl.

Whatever it is if someone wants to use curl through some
HTTP proxy in some scripts he will need to recompile it with
some --disable-ipv6 as the configure option.
Maybe the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable in the port's Makefile should
be changed or some option ENABLE_IPV6 added.

It will also be cool to have some examples in the man page for fetch.
For instance : to download the ports or use fetch through some
corporate HTTP proxy you should export the following 2 variables :
HTTP_PROXY_AUTH and FTP_PROXY
example : export HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:*:username:password
export FTP_PROXY=http://myproxy.company.com:3128/

Thanks for your help,

Stephane.

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:56:18PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Stephane Lentz <Stephane.Lentz@ansf.alcatel.fr> writes:
> > I wanted to use the curl package to grab packages, sources & so on
> > through our corporate proxy (curl is much powerfull than fetch).
>
> What, specifically, does curl do that fetch(1) doesn't?  I don't want
> a laundry list, I just want to know what features fetch(1) lacks that
> you personally need.
>
> > I found out that the curl package does not support HTTP proxy.
>
> Fetch(1) does.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@thinksec.com

Stephane Lentz - Internet Services / Alcanet