Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:20:30 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Kris Anderson <msmouse@kittymail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiliation Problems

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:59:27AM -0800, Kris Anderson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm having a problem compiling RELENG_4 from cvsup source.  Here's the
> pertinent information.  Hopefully somebody can shed some light on the
> problem so that it will get me going in the right direction of an error free
> compilation of src.  There are probably other errors going on here so I'm
> not sure if this is all the information that somebody might need to diagnose
> the problem.
>
> I've read the UPDATINGs, READMEs and other such things but those do not
> offer any assistance.
>
> I would load the system up with RELENG_4 binaries first but I've had nothing
> but problems so I'm trying with src first and if I can get that going then
> everything should be ok.
>
> The system itself is a dual Pentium 200 with (64) meg ram, realtek NIC,
> generic NIC, generic s3 video card, SB16 and (2) four gig hard drives.
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD yaddayadda 3.5-STABLE FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #8: Fri Nov  2 23:35:00 PST
> 2001     tempest@yaddayadda:/usr/src/sys/compile/MOUSE3  i386

[Snip long list of errors.]

I don't think you can go directly from 3.x to the latest 4-STABLE. You
will probably have to do it in steps. I would recommend that you first
try to update to 4.1-RELEASE and from there go to 4-STABLE.

Going from one release to the next release should always work but
jumping several releases in one step does not always work.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson