Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 01:49:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NSS Project

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Mm-hmm. ld -Bshareable as opposed to ar rc.
>
> This demonstrates a superficial understanding of the process, nothing
> more.

I know exactly how an ar archive is made of all the non-PIC .o files and
a ranlib works. I know what happens when ld puts together position-
independent-code (which is position-independent because it uses the
GOT) and generates a shared library. I know how GCC only includes the
.o files from an ar library archive which it needs and nothing more.
I know that the dl* functions in libc itself are just stubs. All
I don't know is why we can't load ld-elf.so.1 for static executables
as well as "dynamic" ones.

> > I just think we're not seeing eye to eye.
>
> I'd be more inclined to say that John simply understands this where
> you don't.  Go study up, then come back and engage the poor guy in
> debate if you genuinely feel you have a solution to offer to this
> already already much-discussed (see the mail archives) issue.

I was asking because I wanted to be referred to where I could find
where these were discussed. I'm not going to wade through a search
that I don't even have a hint on what to look for.

> - Jordan

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/