Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 23:47:28 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Quinn, Ralph" <quinnr@fdhc.state.fl.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disappearing kernel file

"Quinn, Ralph" wrote:

> Dear sirs,
>
> This last weekend our office experienced a power failure. On coming to work
> in the morning two of our FreeBSD machines were down two others we up. On
> the ones that were down the file '/kernel' was missing. Getting them back up
> was no problem since there were /kernel.old files still available.
> (Re-compiling the kernel was no problem. Everything is fine now.)
> Have other people reported similar problems?

Once.

> Are there any steps that I can take to reduce the likelihood of this sort of
> event occurring in the future?

I made sure /var and /tmp were filesystems on separate partitions, and enabled
softupdates on them.

> Any idea why a /kernel file should simply be gone?

corrupted inodes, probably.

> For what it's worth, the two (Debian) Linux boxes we use came through
> unscathed.

Lucky you. My single (SuSE) box cam through the power loss brainless: ext2fs
root file system gone completely, I could get only some configuration files
back. Without a backup, this would be a major PITA.YMMV.

Have fun
-Christoph Sold