Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:50:01 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, marck@rinet.ru
Subject:   Re: gmirror: degraded @ 100%

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Oliver Fromme wrote:

OF> Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru> wrote:
OF>  > root@office:/usr/local/etc# gmirror status m0g
OF>  >       Name    Status  Components
OF>  > mirror/m0g  DEGRADED  ad4g
OF>  >                       ad6g (100%)
OF>
OF> It seems that the second disk is broken and locks up the
OF> channel near the end of the disk.
OF>
OF> You could try to remove the drive from the mirror and
OF> run dd(1) on it.  If the dd command also hangs near the
OF> end of the disk, then you should definitely get a new
OF> disk drive.
OF>
OF> If the dd command finishes without errors (and displays
OF> the correct number of transfered blocks), then I guess
OF> there must be a bug in gmirror.

This was my first guess, and I did exactly the same steps.

Actually, there was kernel panic just a couple minutes after my first mail, but
kernel has refused to either dump or even reboot. Offending process was, as
expected, g_mirror m0g, but I was unable to write down parameters (serial
console was defunct at the moment).

What is wondering me, after reboot m0g finishes syncing successfully. I did
recoverdisk /dev/ad6 /dev/null, and it finished without any error. Now
recoverdisk /dev/ad4 /dev/null if working.

What is also making me nervous: smartctl on both bisks reports bad SMART
checksum, and refuses to start any tests, reporting test already in progress,
40% remaining.

I suppose I'll change both drives ASAP.

However, I'm still conserning geom_mirror bug(s) in corner cases, where some
[not-so]-error conditions exist.

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***