Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 00:29:27 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        i18n@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall & KOI8-U font

On Thu, 10 May 2001 21:37:31 +0400, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> KOI8-U font should be removed from sysinstall menu to not confuse users,
> only CP866U font should be present probably with reference to screenmap in
> the comment, see my recent Russian-related commits to sysinstall.

I did as you have requested, but I'm just curious what the reason
for such changes is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK ability to
change screenmap was introduced to support video hardware with
some (Russian CP866 in this case) charset in chargen but w/o ability
to load another symbol table (CGA, Hercules and so on). Nowadays
such hardware is extremely rare to say the least, so it would be more
logical to get rid of CP866 font in the sysinstall. Necessity to select
both font and screenmap seriously increases possibility of error for
novice users.

-Maxim