Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:34:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>, hsu@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Annelise Anderson stands accused of saying:
> > >It's worse than that.  Anyone w/ an ethernet connection on your net
> > >can read everything going in or out, not just sysadmins or those with
> > >root priviledges on your machine.  If you're really worried about
> > >security, there's encrypted rlogin and pgp encryption for mail.
> >
> > Anyone with an ethernet connection on "my net" can read everything
> > (or log it and read it later, search for key words, send it to
> > someone else, etc....)
> >
> > Question:  what's "my net"?  How do I find out?  Is there anything
>
> Any portion of the data path between you and whatever you're connected to.
> If you're talking to another machine on a local ethernet, that's anywhere
> on that ethernet.  If you're talking to a machine on the other side of the
> planet, that's anywhere along the path from you to the other machine.
>
> > like, say, a radar detector that determines if anyone else is doing
> > this on "my net"?
>
> Not in any practical sense, no.

Mike, I'm not saying it would be practical, but if her networking
department happens to have a Time Domain Reflectometer, which is common
communications equipment for high speed cables (many cable companies have
one) then every tap can be detected.  A TDR would spot everything, even
unused BNC taps.

> > Annelise
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 0411-222-496       [[
> ]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax)  +61-8-267-3039        [[
> ]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;