Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:01:19 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix skills at work

ML Duke wrote:

> Not much to say, really. It's work. Everyday, what weren't broken
> gets upgraded and broken. Philosophically, they're paying me a
> large amount of money to accomplish nothing beneficial in the long
> run.

I've heard of some IT departments that work this way, but many do not.
Most IT departments don't want to operate under an
upgrade-fix-upgrade-fix cycle because it's a complete waste of time.

But sometimes they don't have a choice. Sometimes there is a director or
vice president in the way. When the guy signing the paycheck says he
wants to implement the solution he saw in a PC Magazine advert, your
choices are limited.

> But I've come to understand that this is the way most of our
> educated professionals think.

There is a period of time just after formal academic education when the
"educated professional" thinks they know it all (sort of like
teenagers). Give them a year or two and reality will complete their
education. Beware those that are always taking extension and/or graduate
classes but never spend any time in the trenches.

David