Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:00:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        donny@ms1.hinet.net (Donny Lee)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to get into the Packages installation?

It seems that Donny Lee said:

>   Well, this is a stupid question, I installed 2.1.5 a day ago,
>   and since I had to make sure my new kernel works, I didn't
>   install any packages then.
>
>   My new kernel works well, but I'm not.  I can't find the packages
>   installation enter point during the run of /stand/sysunstall. Could
>   someone point me out?

Not sure what you're asking here.  The "packages" exist under
/cdrom/packages.  Each package knows where it should install
itself.

>   BTW, when I had a look at /stand, I found most of excatables
>   there have the same length, around 900k.  I guess it because
>   of the filesystem limitation, but does it waste disk space?

Most of the files in /stand are "crunch"ed  (see crunchgen(1) for
more details).  Basically, this means that one "file" actually
contains several *programs*!  If you look at the link count
(displayed as the first *number* in `ls -l`), you'll notice that
in some cases 50 filenames all reference the same actual file
on the disk.  In this way, the program looks at the name by
which it was invoked and uses that to decide what it should
do for you.  This actually saves space since all of the common stuff
used in most programs can be rolled into a common space in *one*
part of the file and shared amongst the different programs therein.

--don