Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:16:41 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Resolver Problem

On Jan 15, 2007, at 10:32 AM, linux quest wrote:

> Dear Jay,
>
> Thanks. That is exactly what I mean (sorry not explaining it
> properly). My network is DHCP enabled. When the lease expired, the
> resolver is also cleared out. Any ideas how I can configure a
> static DNS IP?
>
> Here is what I think may work (Please correct me if I am wrong)...
> Perhaps I should configure a static IP on this client using
> FreeBSD. May I know how can I do that, and at the same time, I
> would also like to disable DHCP enable settings.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
> Linux Quest
>
> Jay Chandler <chandler@chapman.edu> wrote: linux quest wrote:
>> I have a problem with the DNS setting in FreeBSD. Every 1 hour, I
>> will not be able to ping google.com (because I need to type in my
>> ISP's DNS into /etc/resolv.conf) May I know what is the best
>> solution for this, so that I do not have to type in my ISP's DNS
>> to the resolver all the time? Perhaps, should I set a static IP
>> configuration? If so, may I know which file should I modify?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Their DNS changes hourly?  What the heck ISP are you using that pulls
> such things?
>
> Or do you mean to say that you're on DHCP, and when it renews the
> lease
> it clears out DNS info?
>
> --
> Jay Chandler
> Network Administrator, Chapman University
> 714.628.7249 / chandler@chapman.edu
> Today's Excuse: emissions from GSM-phones

Secret I'm guessing is just to..
	1. Setup your Win2k3 install properly, network-wise. If you clicked
the interface, went to TCP/IP settings, properties, then scrolled
down to the DNS section you can setup the DNS server IPs statically
so this doesn't occur all the time.
	2. Set the vmware preferences up so the IP would be static behind
the NAT with the information in the NAT and then setup your info in /
etc/rc.conf properly (search for interface_ in man rc.conf).
Cheers,
-Garrett