Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:28:22 -0000
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Diane Bruce <db@heceta.db.net>, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thank you for opting-in

At 02:50 PM 12/19/2003, Diane Bruce wrote:

>It still amazes me that there are still sites around that opt in
>without email confirmation from the "victim."

Thousands. Paul Vixie's MAPS has a whole DNS blacklist devoted
to them. They call them "NMLs" -- nonconforming (or, as some people
expand the acronym, nonconfirming) mailing lists.

I used to write for a magazine which had online newsletters and
refused to do confirmation. Their marketroids had decreed that
this not be done because "it might reduce the number of subscribers."
Their advertising rates went by the number of subscribers, so they
refused to consider the notion that an unwilling subscriber was
worse than one less.

--Brett Glass