Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:43:01 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Testers required: games/newkind

I've just committed a somewhat quick-and-dirty port (games/newkind) of
"Elite - The New Kind", a remake of the classic 8-bit game "Elite" by
Bell & Braben.  (Still considered by many to be one of the greatest
games of all time).

Now... my problem:  I don't currently have access to any FreeBSD boxes
which are configured as workstations.  I can verify that the port
builds, runs, and displays (S-L-O-W-L-Y) via a remote win32-based X
server, but that's about it.  I have no idea whether it runs at playable
speed on a local XFree86 server if you have decent graphics hardware, or
whether the sound even works in the first place!

If there's anyone out there who'd like to test the port, I'd be most
grateful for any feedback - positive or negative.

Note that you can alter some parameters which should impact performance
in ${PREFIX}/share/newkind/newkind.cfg

Also note that there are many ways in which this port may be improved -
see the comments I left in the port Makefile.  Any takers?  :-)

-- V