Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:39:43 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez_i_Querol?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPMI serial console

Al 21/02/2013 16:49, En/na John Baldwin ha escrit:
> On Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:45:13 am Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> A recent thread inspired me to try getting a proper serial console working
> on a Supermicro X9SCL motherboard with IPMI.
>> However I find that while I see loader messages and the getty I enabled
> after boot I don't get any kernel messages which does somewhat limit the
> utility..
>> The BMC creates COM3 (/dev/cuau2) which works with getty. I modified
> /boot/loader.conf like so..
>> boot_multicons="yes"
>> boot_serial="YES"
>> console="comconsole vidconsole"
>> comconsole_speed="115200"
>> # Disable console flags on these 2 ports
>> hint.uart.0.flags="0x00"
>> hint.uart.1.flags="0x00"
>> # Set console flag
>> hint.uart.2.flags="0x10"
>>
>> Does anyone have any hints?
> Rather than using all these hints, just use these three in loader.conf:
>
> console="comconsole vidconsole"
> console_speed=115200
> console_port="0x<blah>"  (where <blah> is the correct I/O port for COM3, 0x3e8
> maybe?)

   John's suggestion works for me with a bunch of DELL's servers (1950,
2950 and R710). I can activate the SOL (Serial Over Lan) easily. I only
need to tell the loader to set the console flag for UART1 (I did it via
device.hints instead of using loader.conf, mergemaster complains every
time, I'll move that setting in the next update cycle).
   I also needed to tell the DELL BMC (in its BIOS) to use UART1 and to
redirect the UART1 (which has no physical connector) to the UART0. I
guess you need to tweak something in the BIOS.

   I'd say I know someone also doing this with an few old supermicros,
but I'm sure they run FreeBSD or Linux. I can check next monday.

   OTOH, setting the comconsole speed to something higher than 9600 has
never worked for me, neither with the DELL servers nor with any other
FreeBSD box without SOL. The handbook states that the "comconsole_speed"
sets the console speed, but John says "console_speed" is the parameter.
Is the handbook outdated?

    Gustau

--
    Gustau

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Unitat de Gestió dels departaments
O O O Matemàtica Aplicada IV i Enginyeria Telemàtica

       Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3