Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:54:07 +0200
From:      thrawn@linux.nu
To:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raid on mylex dac960pg and ami 428 raid cards

Hi,

Thanks for answering so fast.

> Always take a backup of the raid configuration and the data before you do
> anything!

That I have allready done, /var /usr /usr/home /usr/ports /etc have i tared down
to another partion on an ide disc.

> Update the firmware and bios  :-)

I will do that also.

> http://www.mylex.com/pub/support/current_raid/fw_pgpj.EXE

> Nope.

You mean I can do it in dos.

> My usual procedure is create a dos boot diskette and run the mylex
> configuration utility
> (http://www.mylex.com/pub/support/current_raid/ezassist.exe) and create the
> raid array within that. On some cards you have the option to press F2 (istr)
> and configure from the cards bios but I have had problems with that in the
> past.

This card has a strict bios and I can not do anything in it. I has a configuration
of 3 discs of something that its complaining on when the bios initilize on it.
But I guesss I can solve this problem with the dos utilit to eraze that config.

> man vinum and http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/ for how to setup virtual arrays
> within freebsd. In short, it depends on the card.

Im not sure if you did understand what I meant I have a array of 3 18,4 discs and
I have get 2 18,4 disc and want them to join the array. I think its possible to
do that without have to recreate the hole raid array. So that I don't have to
do it from scratch. Are you with me? I think there is software for w2k to do it
but only w2k... and that is fustrating. But it is better then nothing.

> difficult to have a raid 5 setup with only two disks..........

I know, see above

> don't remove one of the disks from a raid array

But they I have experienced it two times no and the discs are not in a hotswap bay.
It happend after I rebooted the computer or shut it down and the powerd it on later
again. But any way it seems to work good now.

> And always take a backup of the raid configuration and the data before you do
> anything!

I Have done that, but again thanks for the tip

Mvh Mattias Björk