Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:17:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, forrie@forrie.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Buildworld fails

> OTOH, perl seems to have just one _really_ incompatible step, going from
> the very old 4.036 to the more recent 5.* versions.  I don't split the

Unfortunately, as I'm now coming to understand, make that 2 highly
incompatible steps.  4.036 to 5.004 and 5.004 to 5.005 (which we now
use).  Yes, that's correct, a bunch of stuff broke in the land of perl
when 5.005 came out, some of which is currently causing a good deal of
grief to folks like Intel.  I've tried to talk them through the
process of building a perl-less 3.0 which they can then add their own
pre-5.005 version of perl to, but apparently this job is causing them
more hassle than I expected it to.  I guess our source building tools
aren't for everyone. :(

- Jordan