Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 08:56:27 -0400
From:      Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        Michiel Boland <michiel@boland.org>, Larry, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: OpenSSL problems after GCC 4.2 upgrade

--Sig_P+JNfja0m..+BltCfE4AMio

On Sun, 20 May 2007 10:13:39 +0200
Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 20 May 2007 08:27, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there were several reports of OpenSSL being broken when compiled
> > with GCC 4.2. It turns out OpenSSL uses function casting feature
> > that was aggressively de-supported by GCC 4.2 and GCC goes as far
> > as inserting invalid instructions ON PURPOSE to discourage the
> > practice.
>=20
> Why does it not break on compile/link time?
>=20
> --HPS

That is extremely good question. GCC issues warning that the code will
abort if execution ever reaches this point, but compiles the file
anyway. I see no logical explanation for this behaviour. Interested
parties can take this to GCC mailing lists.

--=20
Alexander Kabaev

--Sig_P+JNfja0m..+BltCfE4AMio

--Sig_P+JNfja0m..+BltCfE4AMio--