Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:24:23 -0500
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Single User Mode ??

At 7:23 AM -0500 12/6/96, Kurt Schafer wrote:
>Boy, I made a real blunder with my login.access file and now it seems nobody
>can access the BSD box in question.
>
>So... Can I get into the box by logging in in single-user mode ? And if
>so, how
>do I log in in single-user mode ?? :P
>
>New machine, just installed 2.1.6 on it. Nothing of importance on the box but
>I'd hate to have to waste another hour doing an FTP install. Especially since
>daylight is approaching and I won't be able to see the 80k/sec I get at night.

When you boot up, use the -s flag.  (You have to do this kind of quickly
when you see the Boot: prompt as you start the system up).

This will dump you straight into single user mode so you can fix things.

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan                    mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation                      http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator                     +1.914.271.4500 |