Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:37:41 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Ladan?= <rene@freebsd.org>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FBSD Doc project <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] (partial) patch to clean up authors.ent / developers.ent duplication

On 28-11-2012 01:00, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Disclaimer:  I have not yet looked at the patch.]

Most of it is mechanical.

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:03:41PM +0100, René Ladan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we currently have two files in our documentation tree for
>> committer entries (i.e., &a.committer-name; ):
>> share/xml/authors.ent and share/xml/developers.ent, as indicated
>> at [1]. Worse, in authors.ent the entities have an email address
>> included hile in developers.ent they do not. I have a (partial)
>> patch at [2] to merge these two files and unify the meaning of
>> these entities. Currently it:
>>

> [...]
>
> All of your proposed changes sound very good to me.
>
>> Questions: - Maybe this should go in a branch first (especially
>> when it is decided to include the translations)?
>
> My (personal) preference would be to do this in a project branch.
> Then we can worry about what to do about translated documents,
> contingent on if untouched translations contribute to build
> breakages.

OK, I'll see if I can split the patch into more manageable smaller
commits.

>> - There is no ds@ , although the current documentation somewhat
>> suggests he has an account?
>
> He has an email account, but not a login account (if I remember
> correctly).  For his case, we can hard-code a ds@ email, if
> needed.

I'll add him to authors.ent.

>> - The 2005 and 2006 editions of the Summer of Code pages include
>> email addresses, while the 2007 and 2008 versions do not?
>>

> Hmm..  No idea about this part.

It could be just choice, but anyway now that email addresses will be
explicit it might be a good time to go through the articles and books
to see if we want email addresses in running text or just names.

> Thanks very much for starting this.
>
> Unless there is objection from anyone, please feel free to create
> a projects branch for these changes.

Which triggers some questions:
- - is projects/ open for normal committers?
- - what would be a suitable name? "entities" comes to mind, in which we
could also do a "FreeBSD" -> "&os;" sweep later.
- - since I do not have a full doc bit, do I need approval for every
commit to projects/ (and at some point the final merge) ?

René